Kundalini Yoga deals with the basic life energy, prana. Prana is the sub-atomic energy, the life force. It is prana that you recieve with every breath. Kundalini Yoga is the path of discovery of the source of the prana in us and teaches us how to use it. Prana is given to us with each inhalation.
You become more capable, more confident, and more efficient in whatever you’re doing in your external life. Simultaneously, you become progressively more aware of your self on all levels. It balances the grandular system, strengthens the 72,000 nerves in the body, expands the lung capacity, and purifies the bloodstream. It brings balance to the body, mind, and soul. It teaches positive, self-empowering attitudes of thinking. It is on the job training for success and excellence in life. It builds innner strength and self awareness so you can fulfill your highest potential. Kundalini Yoga perfects the finite life while connecting it to the infinite experience.
- Yoga means to be united. When you unite with your soul and unite with the One who gave you the soul, thats what yoga is.
- Prana is the basic life energy, it is the sub-atmoic energy, the life force. It is prana that you recieve with every breath. Prana is given to us with each inhalation.
- Mantras are combinations of syllables consciously constructed to connect with specific levels of intelligence. Using a mantra is like dialing a phone number. If you want to talk with your friend in Florida, you don’t call the San Diego Zoo.
- Breath of Fire is a pranayam or conscious breathing exercise that will not only increase your lung capacity (so you can easily breathe slower and deeper) but it will also: strengthen your nervous system, purify your bloodstream, energize, stimulate, and wake you up, and increase your vitality. The breath of fire is simply a rapid and powerful breath through the nose.
- 10 Bodies:
- Soul Body-it is the first body and your very best friend. It is God’s light which lives in your heart. The Soul Body never dies. It goes with you forever. (Three Mental Bodies)
- The Negative Mind- protects you by warnins you what could be the danger or loss in any situation.
- The Positive Mind- inspires you by telling you what is the possible gain, the advantage to you, in any situation.
- The Neutral Mind-listens to the intellectual input from both the Negative Mind and Positive Mind and then leads you to the best decision, using unbiased intuitive knowledge. Whenever you want to reach outside of yourself, reach out with your Neutral Mind. It is most graceful, wonderful secrets of success.
- Physical Body- was given to you so you could participate fully in life on this planet. It is a temmple of God to live in while He sees through your eyes and hears through your ears. You were given the physical body so God could experience and enjoy His creation. The physical is a balance between heaven and earth, The key to perfecting the Physical Body is balance: balance in diet; balance in exercise; balance in work, in play, and rest. It always makes sense to avoid extremes. Don’t be lazy and don’t be fanatic.
- Arc Body- is a line of energy that goes in an arc from ear tip tp ear tip. It is sometimes called your “halo.” This spiritual body projects who you are to other people without a word being spoken. It also protects you from negative energy directed towards you.
- Auric Body- is a sphere of electromagnetic energy that surrounds the physical body. It can extend up to nin feet in every direction. This body protects you and also gives you the ability to uplift yourself and others.
- Pranic Body- controls the breath and takes in Prana, the life energy of the universe. The Pranic Body gives you energy, courage, control over your mind, and healing power. When you breathe, you are feeding your Pranic Body.
- Subtle Body- gives you the opportunity to understand and master the subtetly of life. It can help you understand what is going on around you and how things work. Those people who can tune into situations easily pick up new skills as if by magic, have developed the Subtle Body.
- Radiant body- gives your spiritual royalty and radiance. The strength of the Radiant Body will make you courageous in the face of any and every obstacle. Good things are drawn to you through a developed and powerful Radiant Body.
Mul Bandh-(Root Lock) This lock is most frequently used in practice of Kundalini Yoga. It closes off the three lower chakras and allows Kundalini energy to rise. Mu Bandh can be applied with breath held in or out; the breath will be specifieed in the exercise given.
Jalandhar Bandh-Neck Lock, sit with a straight spine, lift chest, and pull chin straight back.
Kriya is a specific combination of a yogic posture, hand position, breathing, and mantra; literally: a “completed action.”
Chakras are centers of consciousness. They are focal points of energy which have a direct, immediate and profound effect on our daily lives. Energy flows through our spine, through our arms and legs and through eight specific energy centers, or chakras. There are eight chakras.
Earth represents the Earth element in us. It is located in the rectum at the conjunction of 72,000 nerve endings. We couldn’t get along without this first chakra. It enables us to eliminate waste, a most essential function of the physical body. The first chakra concerns have to do with basic questions of security and survival.
Water is the second projected center of consciousness has to do with water element in our nature. It is located in the sex organs.
Fire is the third chakra represents the fire element in us. It is located in the navel point, a major focal point of energy where all 72,000 nerve endings meet. It controls the fire of digestion. The energy here is concerned with identity, domain, and judgement. If there is an imbalance, it can manifest in the person’s character as excessive greed and an overwhelming drive for personal power.
Heart Center- Air is the fourth projected center of consciousness is sometimes called the “Heart Center” or the “Center of Christ Consciousness.” It is also located at the center of the chest, not in the physical organ of the heart. It relates to the element of air in us. The power to sacrifice, born of universal divine love, comes from this chakra. It is the home of true maternal love. It is an arena of kindness and compassion.
Throat Chakra: Ether- the fifth energy center has to do with power and impact of speech. When we speak from the fifth chakra our words are direct and penetrating. They also may be painfully blunt. One of the primary characteristics of this fifth chakra is the power of projection. Anytime you succeed in prenetrating with your words, the fifth chakra must operate. Being primarilt focused at the throat chakra means we think about, talk about, are interested in nothing, but Truth.
Intuition is the sixth chakra or Ajna Chakra, located at the center of the forehead slightly above the eyebrows, is sometimes called the “Third Eye.” This is where we can “see the unseen, know the unknown.” We gain access to, and increase our faculty of, intuition. It is the direct pipeline to the infinite source of universal knowledge and wisdom in each of us. We can use our neutral or meditative mind; and tap into the knowledge of the past, the present, and the future.
Seventh Chakra sometimes called the “Thousand Petalled Lotus,” the seventh center of consciousness is at the top of the skull. It is also referred to as the “Gate of Salvation,” “Tenth Gate,” or “Crown Chakra.” You can merge into a state of bliss.
Aura- the eighth chakra is the magnetic field generated by the vibrations of a human being. Your aura surrounds you. It normally extends several feet in every direction. The quality and size of the aura reveals a lot about the person. It is either a projection of power or it can reveal the weakness and depression of defeat. It is your protective shield. It changes in color, strength, and size depending upon your general physical health, and your moment to moment thoughts and feelings.
The scientific use of sound to affect consciousness is called Mantra Yoga. Next to breathing (necessary for any endeavor), the use of Mantra is the most important aspect of the practice of Kundalini Yoga. Chanting mantras, either silently or aloud, is a conscious method of controlling and directing your mind. Happiness or sorrow, joy or regret are vibratory frequencies in the mind. We can call them attitudes, or beliefs, but fundamentally, they are vibratory frequencies or thought waves. When we chant a mantra we are choosing to invoke the positive power contained in those particular sylablles. Whether its prosperity , peace of mind, increasing intuition, or any other multitude of possible benefits inherent in mantras, simply by chanting them we are setting vibrations into motion that shall have an effect. It doesn’t actually matter if we understand the meaning of the sounds or not. We get what we tune in to.
There are excercises in learning to master our minds and emotions so that we are not uptight and upset. Developing a strong meditative mind through Kundalini Yoga is a major step toward developing our own indomitable inner strength and serenity with the ability to call upon it whenever we need it. Through meditation, mantra, and pranayam, we can tap into the absolutely calm and tranquil inner peace and stability that already exists inside us. As aware yogis we can stop being reactive robots, and become calm and capable human beings, masters of our emeotions and minds. Breath of Fire, Breathe only through your left nostril for twenty-six long slow, deep breaths to calm yourself down in any tense situation, drink a full 8 ounces of water immediately. You don’t have to let your emotions rule you.
- Long deep breathing – will calm the mind, balance the emotions, and harmonize the body, mind, and spirit.
- Breath of Fire- increase your lung capacity, strengthens your nervous system, purifies your bloodstream, energize, stimulate, and wakes you up, and increases your vitality.
- Stretch Pose-adjusts your navel point. It is a tune-up for your whole nervous system as well as your digestive ssytem. It also strengthens your reproductive organs and glands. (The seat of your creativity and productivity.
- Sat Kriya- will raise your Kundalini.
Yogi Bhajan is the Master of Kundalini Yoga. We start and end any practice of Kundalini Yoga with a mantra. After I had done the routine to get up in the morning and the stretches on page 249 I felt incredible. I was totally ready for my day and completely positive. I like this exercise a lot it made me want to start every morning like that it was so energizing and enlightening. My most signifigant experience in paricipating in this class I thought was when we had to chant a out loud in front of the class by ourselves. Normally I would be very shy, but I happened to be the first in the class to chant and I just did it and I thought I did an aswesome job. I was proud of myself and I still to this day think it was the atmosphere and the energy in the room that just allowed me to do it and feel comfortable about it. If you have never had a chance to experience some Kundalini Yoga I say try it! SAT NAM -Truth is my identity and I call upon the eternal Truth that resides in all of us.